Tactical pants are not your typical everyday cargo pants, despite their similar appearance. Tougher and more durable with hidden pockets and reinforced knees, tactical pants may be the most versatile piece of clothing you can own. They have long been a favorite of the military, recreational shooters, outdoor enthusiasts, law enforcement, and first responders as well as hikers and rock climbers.
If you are trying to find the best tactical pants to wear both on and off the job, this informational guide will help lead you to the right pair.
Care and Maintenance Tips
Never underestimate the importance of care instructions. Tactical pants aren’t your typical everyday pants, and each pair comes with its own set of special care instructions. To ensure your tactical pants last, be sure to adhere to the instructions provided. While care and maintenance of your tactical pants won’t be particularly unusual, it may be slightly more complicated than tossing them in the washer with your regular clothing.
Top 10 Tactical Pants Comparison Table
Finding the Most Suitable Tactical Pants for You
With so many choices available, finding a great pair of tactical pants isn’t as easy as buying regular ordinary pants. There are many factors to consider, including price, comfort, style, and durability. Here is some information to help you narrow down your options.
- Price. Expect comfortable and reliable tactical pants to fall in the mid to high price range. Less expensive pants are typically less durable and lack essential features.
- Durability. Tactical pants are designed to hold up to heavy use. Even less expensive brands will be stain and tear resistant and much more durable than the average pair of pants. However, look for tactical pants that can endure repeated rugged use over time. Look for products with reinforced seams, pockets, belt loops, and knee areas. Many brands stand behind the durability of their product with extended warranties.
- Material. The material used in construction will influence durability and comfort. Most tactical pants use a blend of cotton and polyester; this provides excellent breathability as well as sturdiness. Pants made of synthetic materials are durable but lack comfort and breathability.
Some tactical pants are treated with stain-resistant or waterproof coatings, such as Teflon. These chemical treatments can make tactical pants less comfortable, especially in hot, humid weather.
- Style. While there isn’t much variation on style when it comes to tactical pants, some blend in better with everyday wear.
- Color. Today’s tactical pants come in almost every color of the rainbow and even several patterns of camouflage. However, black and khaki remain the most popular colors.
Top 3 Best Tactical Pants Reviews
Stretchable, lightweight, and durable, 5.11’s Tactical Stryke Pant offers exceptional comfort and performance both on and off the job. With triple-reinforced seams and extensive bar tacking at key stress points, these tactical pants are built to last, no matter what your professional or recreational pursuits.
Teflon treated to protect against stains, spills, and dirt and constructed of a cotton-polyester blend of ripstop fabric, these pants will keep you looking sharp even in harsh conditions. The gusseted crotch, tunnel waistband, and articulated knees offer a full range of motion, and you will feel comfortable and stylish whether upland hunting or sipping drinks in a casual business setting.
The twelve smart pockets, including double deep cargo pockets, provide enough space for all your everyday tactical items. With this level of durability, comfort, and utility, you’ll agree these are hands down the best tactical pants on the market today.
Constructed of lightweight, 6.5-ounce cotton polyester ripstop Teflon-coated fabric, these durable, quick-drying, wind resistant tactical pants are perfect for everyday wear. They are wrinkle resistant and easy to care for and are rugged and comfortable enough for both tactical and practical wear.
There is plenty of room in the pockets, legs, seat, and crotch. These pants offer a perfect fit for almost every body type and size. The reinforced knees feature inside openings for the easy addition of comfort knee pads; this makes these pants perfect for EMTs and first responders.
Also a smart option for hikers and outdoor adventurers, these TRU-SPEC Lightweight 24-7 pants are moisture repellant, stain resistant, and offer enough pockets to carry an array of essential gear. Light, cool, and surprisingly breathable, these pants work for indoor and outdoor use.
Made from nylon and spandex coated with a Dupont Teflon coating, these tactical pants have a unique patented design. The comfortable design features a slim look while offering an increased range of motion without stressing any seams. Pockets are arranged for quick and easy access and allow you to carry all your essential equipment in an organized way without sacrificing tactical advantage.
The lightweight, breathable material wicks moisture away from the body while resisting outside water, stains, and spills. Stretchable and comfortable, this fabric is a smart choice for outdoor activities no matter what Mother Nature has in store.
These pants have everything: fit, style, function, durability, and function. With a price tag that matches the quality, these tactical pants may be cost-prohibitive to the budget conscious consumer, but they are worth every penny.