Not being sure where to start with tools holds some people back from reloading their own ammunition. If that’s you, let us give you the the nudge you need with our best reloading kits reviews.
Kits can be a cost effective and easy way to build your reloading tool chest and we’ve reviewed the most common kits and included our recommendations and guidance for you in this buying guide to the Top 6 Reloading Tool Kits.
6 Best Reloading Kits Table
Reloading Press Types
Reloading kits are built around a press. For reloading, there are three main kinds of presses, although you also can hand press.
- Single Stage. If you’re a beginner in the world of reloading, you will likely want to start with this type of press. It doesn’t require as much know-how as the other two types, and they are usually the cheapest too. The main drawback to this a single stage press is that they are slower to operate, so best for a small amounts of ammunition.
- Turret. A turret press works much like the simple lever in a single stage press, but includes a revolving ‘turret’ that allows the user to set up multiple cases at a time. Turret presses are an easy step up for people who want to make bigger batches of ammunition,
- Progressive. A progressive stage press combines most of the actions needed to load a cartridge into a single step. They are the fastest way to produce bulk ammunition and a great choice for shooters that chew threw rounds, but they more costly and can be complicated to learn. None of our recommended kits have progressive presses.
What Items Will I Need for Reloading Ammunition?
Common tools in a kit include:
- Primer Catcher
- Priming System
- Priming Tool
- Reloading Block
- Chamfer & Deburr Tool
- Powder Measure, Trickler & Funnel
- Die Bushings
Other tools you will need (sometimes included in kits):
- Reloading Manual (See our recommended reloading references)
- Bullet Gauge
- Rotor & Metering Assembly
- Shell holders
- Case Lube
- Lock Rings
- Bullet Puller
- ** dies are cartridge-specific and usually sold separately**
If your kit does not include these items, you may need to buy them separately. An explanation of common tools can be found here reloading kit tools. Our Top Reloading Reference Books can also help you learn the trade.
Reviews for Our Top 3 Reloading Kits:
The turret press is what put this kit at the top. Most kits have single stage presses. Although it is a bit more complex than a single stage press for beginners, it enhances output once you get the hang of it. That makes this a kit you won’t quickly outgrow.
The Lee Precision Classic Turret Press Kit is extremely comprehensive, coming with everything but the dies, at a reasonable price.
Included Items: 4 Hole Turret Press, Mechanical Scale, Reloading Manual, Handheld Priming Tools including Cleaner and Auto Primer, Chamfer & Deburr Tool, Powder Measure, Die Bushings, Quick Change Drum Powder Funnel, Case Lube, Bullet Gauge, Case Trimmer & Prep Tools, Shell holders (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 11, 12, 19)
The Lock-N-Load Classic press is a reliable and proven single-stage press. It can be purchased separately or in two different kits. The Classic Delux Kit is our number two pick and the most all-inclusive kit on our list. It comes with everything but the dies. The digital scale is a huge upgrade over the mechanical scales in most kits.
This is not a cheap kit, but the quality and comprehensive inventory of tools make it a good value.
Included Items: Single Stage Press, Reloading Handbook, Digital Scale, Primer Catcher, Positive Priming System, Handheld Priming Tool, Universal Reloading Block, Chamfer & Deburr Tool, Powder Measure, Die Bushings (6), Powder Trickler, Powder Funnel, One Shot Case Lube, Straight OAL Gauge, Pistol Rotor & Metering Assembly, Powder Measure Stand, Shell holders (1,2,5,16,35), Kinetic Bullet Puller, Six Sure-Loc Lock Rings, Steel Dial Caliper
Our best bargain. The primary difference between this kit and our number one pick (also from Lee) is the single-stage press. Easier to use than a turret press, but lower volume, it is more than adequate for beginners and hobbyists.
You’ll need to supply your own manual, but otherwise this set comes with all the tools needed to get started (minus dies) at an amazing price.
Included Items: Single Stage Press, Mechanical Scale, 8 Handheld Priming Tools including Cleaner and Auto Primer, Chamfer & Deburr Tool, Powder Measure, Die Bushings, Powder Funnel, Case Lube, Bullet Gauge, Case Trimmer & Prep Tools, Powder Measure Stand, Shell holders (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 11, 12, 19)