10 Best Fireproof Gun Safes 2023
Firearms usually represent a significant investment. As such, you want to make sure that you keep them in tip-top shape. You should always clean them, oil them, and replace any parts that start to show wear and tear. While all of these are great steps to keeping your guns in good working order, there is more you can be doing to not only keep your firearms safe but to keep them more secure as well.
To keep your firearms safe and secure, you shouldn’t just invest time, but also money into the best fireproof gun safe you can find; this will help to protect your firearms in the event of a fire, and will also keep them secure from any tampering.
So, how would you know which safe will best meet your needs? Luckily for you, we have put together a list of the top ten fireproof safes and will provide you with detailed reviews of the top three to help you choose the right one.
Top 10 Fireproof Gun Safes Table
Just like when you purchase any new piece of equipment, there are several key factors that you need to look for when you are looking for the best fireproof gun safe.
- Weight. To keep your firearms secure, you should look for a safe that has some weight to it; this will make it more difficult to steal and less likely to be bumped over by anyone.
- Floor Bolts. This is another safety feature meant to keep the safe stationery. If you can bolt it to the ground, this will keep it from tipping and will make it harder to steal.
- Capacity. If you are taking the time to invest in an expensive safe, odds are you have pretty many firearms to fit in it. Be sure to get a safe that accommodates the collection you have now, as well as the one that you may have in the future.
- Time of Fire Resistance. There are no safes that are designed to withstand the heat that a fire presents forever. Therefore, each safe is usually rated for the amount of time that they will keep your firearms intact in case of a fire. The higher the amount of time, the better chance that your collection will not suffer any damage.
3 Best Fireproof Gun Safe Reviews
1. Steelwater Heavy Duty 20 Long Gun Fire Protection
Out of all the different safes we looked at, the Steelwater Heavy Duty was the best fireproof gun safe on the market. This safe is, as its name implies, heavy duty. Weighing in at a whopping 425 pounds, this safe would be extremely difficult to remove from you home in the case of a burglary. Adding to that weight is the fact that you can bolt it to the floor for extra security and stability.
Of all the safes of our top three, this one also has the largest capacity. It can hold up to 20 long guns (rifles or shotguns), although the more likely scenario is that it will hold around 16, since you’ll probably store other items in here as well.
It is also rated to be fire resistant for up to 45 minutes depending upon the temperature present. During our tests, we found that it could withstand up to 1600 degrees for a significant amount of time with no damage to the firearms inside.
Summary: Just like its name suggests, the Steelwater Heavy Duty is just that. It weighs a lot, can store a lot, and will protect your firearms for a long time in case of a fire.
2. Steelwater Standard Duty 16 Long Gun Fire Protection
The Steelwater Standard Duty safe is a great option for those individuals who don’t need as much storage space as the Heavy Duty provides. While the Standard Duty does not hold as many firearms, it performed just as well in all of our tests.
This safe will hold up to 16 rifles or shotguns, but would probably only accommodate ten once you add in all of the other things that you want to keep secure.
It weighs in at 305 pounds, which is still plenty of weight to discourage theft. It also has the option to be bolted down to the floor, which is again, a great safety feature not just against robbery, but against it falling down on someone.
Best of all, of course, is that it resisted fire damage just as well as the Heavy Duty safe did. We found that it could withstand up to 1600 degrees for an extended period with no appreciable damage to the firearms inside.
Summary: This is a great option for someone who doesn’t have a large collection of firearms, but wants to keep the ones they do have safe and secure. It has great safety features and can withstand exposure to a high-temperature fire for a long time.
3. Scout Fire Proof 16 Long Gun Safe
This is another standard duty safe that weighs in at 330 pounds, and it is definitely heavy enough to reduce the risk of theft. It also has an option to be bolted down to the ground. This safety feature will keep it firmly in place, reducing the risk of theft or tipping.
Like our number two selection, it has a capacity for 16 long guns, but would probably only hold around 10 or so once you add other items that you want to keep secure.
It is our number three choice simply because it was not as fire resistant as our top two. While it did withstand a temperature of about 1200 degrees, this is only the lower end of an average home fire’s temperature.
Summary: This safe is relatively heavy, with good storage capacity and security features. However, it cannot withstand as much heat as other safes that we tested.