If you are a gun owner, you want to be sure you can quickly and easily access your firearm in an emergency. However, responsible gun owners also need to ensure that their guns are secure and won’t accidentally fall into the wrong hands, whether those of a violent criminal or a curious child.
The best way to keep your firearms safe and secure yet readily available is to use a bedside gun safe. There are plenty of options available to the modern gun owner that selecting a bedside gun safe may seem more difficult and confusing than selecting your handgun.
Still not sure which one to purchase?
Read on, and you will be able to compare the best bedside gun safe models side by side to find the right one for your needs and budget.
Top 10 Bedside Gun Safes Comparison Table
Choosing a Bedside Gun Safe
Many gun owners store their firearms in a large gun safe thinking that it will afford a higher level of security. A bigger gun safe may provide greater fire protection and feature more anti-theft benefits. However, a gun stored in a large gun safe is likely out of reach when you might need it most.
A bedside gun safe will allow your firearm to be readily accessible. There are a few things you should take into consideration that will help you determine which safe is the best fit for you and your home.
- Locks. Today’s bedside gun safes feature several distinct types of locking mechanisms, including:
- Key Locks. This type of locking mechanism is most common on old-fashioned gun cabinets. They require a key to unlock and are easier to break into than some other lock designs. Key locks are not a common lock feature for most bedside gun safes because they do not provide quick access. No one wants to be fumbling with keys while in duress and needing access to a weapon.
- Mechanical Combination Locks. The most common and reliable lock type, mechanical combination locks resemble the lock of your old high school locker. They require a memorized combination and therefore can only be opened by someone who knows the correct sequence of numbers. However, opening them can be difficult and take precious time, especially when under stress.
- Electronic Combination Locks. Like a mechanical combination lock, these require an access code to open. However, with an electronic lock, there are no dials to manipulate. Instead, you just punch in your combination. They provide quick access, and you can often set the combination. Batteries must be replaced periodically, and if batteries die, it may be become impossible to gain access to the safe’s contents.
- Biometric Locks. Access is gained to safes with biometric locks with your fingerprint. These locks have become popular for handgun safes because they allow almost instant quick access to secured weapons, but only by select individuals. However, they may not be as reliable as combination locks.
- Size. The size of your handgun will influence the size gun safe you need. Obviously, if you own a larger handgun, you will require a larger safe. You should also consider where you want to place your gun safe. Is it an appropriate size to slide under the bed? Do you want it to fit inside your nightstand drawer? Will it bother you to have it visible on your bedside table? These are all questions that will help you determine what size gun safe you need.
- Fire Rating. Most gun safes are lined with fireboard to keep the contents safe from extreme temperatures in the event of a house fire. Safes that are fire resistant are often easier to break in to but will protect your valuables in the event of a fire.
Top 3 Best Bedside Gun Safe Reviews
If you are looking for rugged anti=theft security, the Vaultek VT20i really delivers. This safe features two-point anti-impact latches and interior mounted hinges for extra protection against break-ins. With its rugged, heavy duty 16-gauge carbon steel construction and durable corrosion-resistant powder coat finish, you can rest assured that this safe will reliably protect its valuable contents for years to come.
Smart Safe Technology allows you to use your smartphone to adjust the safe’s interior lighting or unlock from a remote location with a simple swipe of your finger. However, you can also gain quick access to your handgun or other valuables with the easy-to-locate backlit keypad or biometric fingerprint scanner with a storage capacity for up to 20 different user IDs.
The style, reliable security features, and easy-access functionality of this durable safe make it hands down the best bedside gun safe on the market today.
A favorite design of tactical enthusiast, the Stealth Handgun Hanger Safe features a spring-loaded drop-down door for quick access to up to five different handguns and three spare magazines. The safe door pops open so quickly after the correct combination has been entered, that the company installed a speed reducer. This safety feature catches the door for a soft finish, protecting your hard surfaces from jarring or damaging impact.
This bedside gun safe features solid steel construction and a recessed door that is practically pry-proof. For an extra level of anti-theft protection, you can bolt down the entire safe. Also included is a free security cable which makes it almost impossible for a thief to sneak off with the safe to open it on his own time.
Multiple mounting options and included hardware, you can conveniently place this easy access gun safe almost anywhere. Featuring rock-solid construction from 18-gauge steel and reliable, high strength locking mechanism, you’ll enjoy peace of mind knowing you’re using some the most reliable security on the market.
The soft foam interior keeps your handguns and other valuables safe from scratches and prevents rattling. The foam may need to be customized if you have special hardware or customization on your pistols.
Access codes are easy to program, but the safe can be finicky about how quickly you press the combination buttons. It may be difficult to open when you are fumbling from panic or a rush of adrenaline. We recommend doing a few practice runs, because the more you open the safe, the easier the task is to perform even when under duress.